I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and the right of citizens’ to own and bear arms in the United States; I am a gun owner, a hunter and feel no shame in admitting those facts. I have guns, a crossbow and hunting bows in my home and raised three boys in that house who have great respect for and knowledge of 2nd amendment and the fact that weapons are not toys or playthings.
That being said, it is time for sensible and comprehensive changes to gun ownership laws.
- Assault weapons and automatic weapons have no place in the homes of a peaceful society.
- The manufacture, sale or possession of clips with a capacity of more than 10 rounds should be outlawed and heavy penalties for violations should include jail time for each offense.
- There should be a waiting period and a background check for the purchase of any weapon (pistol, rifle, shotgun, and crossbow and loopholes to this regulation like the gun show exception should be closed.
- A similar waiting period should be in place for the purchase of large quantities of ammunition.
- Mandatory gun safety training (form local law enforcement) should be required for first time gun buyers.
- Mandatory sentences for the use of a gun in the commission of a crime should be in place; use a gun in commission of a crime and serve a minimum of ten years and if a person is killed with a gun during the commission of a crime the charge should be felony murder no exceptions.
Obviously there are also requirements for improvements in mental health processes, education and parenting that need to be addressed, but those are more long term projects.
Changes in gun regulations can be done quickly.
Thanks to girlsjustwannahaveguns.comgirsljustwannahavguns.com and google images for the graphic